CEREMONIAL DONATION OF A PLEYEL PIANO (1847) TO THE FRYDERYK CHOPIN INSTITUTE
Gallery »

A Pleyel piano autographed by Fryderyk Chopin will be donated by the Chopin Foundation of Miami to The Fryderyk Chopin Institute. The ceremony will take place on 19 October at 12:00 PM at the Fryderyk Chopin Museum in Warsaw.

The history of the Pleyel piano from 1847 (serial number 13555) is extraordinarily interesting; the instrument is autographed by Fryderyk Chopin, probably at the request of the person who bought it – one of the master’s pupils. The composer personally selected the instrument and signed it with his signature in order to permit his pupil to recognize the recommended instrument at the Pleyel piano factory. The piano then went first to Romania, and then to Italy and the United States. In the spring of 2009, it was donated to The Chopin Foundation of the United States in Miami. The Foundation decided to deposit the instrument at the Fryderyk Chopin Museum in Warsaw. This event took place in 2009, and the instrument was presented as part of a new permanent exhibition of the Chopin Museum that opened in 2010, on Chopin’s 200th birthday. It has now been decided to donate the instrument to The Fryderyk Chopin Institute.

Among those taking part in the donation ceremony will be Honorary Consul of the Republic of Poland in Miami and Founder of The Chopin Foundation of the United States Lady Blanka Rosenstiel, Deputy Chief of Mission in the United States Embassy John C. Law, Director of The Chopin Foundation Jadwiga Gewert, Director of The Fryderyk Chopin Institute Artur Szklener and Curator of the Fryderyk Chopin Museum Maciej Janicki.